Luckally, there are custom roms out there that can help you jump to the latest Android version regardless of Samsung ending its firmware upgrade support. You can easily upgrade to Android 4.4.2 by installing the custom rom called Carbon Rom which is being unoficially developed by Team P8 at xda-developers forums.
Carbon Rom is an after-market firmware based on the Android Open Source Project which offers tons of customization features starting from UI tweaks to performance tweaks which will make your Galaxy S Advance fly.
- Make sure your phone is well charged so that it will not shut down during installation
- Your phone must be rooted and you need to have CWM Recovery - Guide
- Download the latest build to your sdcard from here - head into Carbon 4.4.2 folder and choose the latest build by looking at the date.
- Download the Gapps package to your sdcard to have Google Apps - here
- Be sure to have a backup of your important data as we will be wiping everything off the phone's storage!
Disclaimer:Rooting and flashing custom roms voids your warranty! AndroidJunkie will not be held responsible for any damages caused to your device by following this tutorial. Perform these steps at your own risk!
Updating Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 to Android 4.4.2 via Carbon ROM
- Follow the instructions in rooting and flashing CWM Recovery to your S Advance from the link in pre-requisites to end up in CWM Recovery
- Now that you are in CWM Recovery choose wipe data/factory reset
- Go to advanced, choose wipe dalvik cache.
- Once done, go back to the main menu and choose install zip from sdcard
- Now locate the rom zip file and choose it, then choose Yes when asked to confirm to confirm.
- After the installation is complete, again choose install zip from sdcard and this time choose the Gapps zip file
- After you have installed the rom and Gapps package, go back to the main menu and choose reboot system now.
- Be patient for the first boot as you have wiped dalvik cache.